Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Community Service

My next volunteer job for my community service project of Bay Area hunger, was working at the Alameda County Food bank. This event was set up by my high school soccer coach, and I worked along side my teammates. We were assigned to the job of bagging apples that would later be distributed to those in need. After our work was finished, we were given the opportunity to learn some more about the issue of Bay Area Hunger. The Alameda County Food Bank had a presentation set up for us that revealed many interesting facts about our local hunger problems that were very startling. Some of these facts included statistics such as one out of every five people in the Bay Area has received help from the Alameda county food bank. Facts like this really made me aware that hunger was not an issue seen in poor third world counties, but it is also a major issue seen locally. Overall, we ended up bagging over 3,000 pounds of apples during our time spent at the food bank.  It is important to educate people about these issues that affect millions of people across the world.

1 comment: