Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My Community Service

So far, I have focused my community service efforts in two specific ways. First, I volunteered at feeding the homeless at St. Mark's Church in Berkeley. As I arrived at the church, I was surprised to see so many homeless people waiting outside the door in the pouring rain, waiting to be let in and served food. I was assigned the job of a server at three of the many tables set up in the dinning hall. The church had prepared a traditional thanksgiving dinner for the homeless, including turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, vegetables, and some small sides. I was shocked how good the meal looked based on the huge amount of people they needed to serve. finally, after some preparation, we opened the doors, and people began to flood in to the building, filling up the seats quickly. All of the servers then started bringing plates around to every table, which we had placed an equal amount of food on. All of the homeless people I served were all very grateful for what they had received. We then started serving seconds, which almost every person asked for, sometimes multiple times. After the food was gone, and everyone had left, we finished up by cleaning off the tables and putting everything away. Overall, I thought it was a good experience, and it gave me the chance to understand how fortunate I am, and how important it is to give back too your community.

No comments:

Post a Comment